Detroit native, Nicole Lindsey is the co-founder/beekeeper at Detroit Hives - a Michigan nonprofit founded in 2017 whose mission is to transform vacant lots into urban bee farms for the conservation and education of honeybees. She's devoted to altering negative stigmas about bees, informing of their crucial roles and benefits to the environment and educating children, to not only learn about apiology, but to help others combat their fear of bees.
In her own words:
1. What’s your most important career accomplishment to-date?
Co-founding Detroit Hives.
2. How have you redefined leadership through your professional success?
Changing the narrative by doing something out of the ordinary.
3. Why is civic engagement (volunteerism) important to you?
Civic engagement is important because it's organization like Detroit Hives who need volunteers to keep the mission going.
4. How have you disrupted the idea of traditional leadership? How do you express leadership?
Forward thinking, self education, creating, and innovation is disrupting the idea of traditional leadership. With Detroit Hives we are doing just that. Through unconventional ways of educating the community about the importance of environmental sustainability.
5. What is a blue sky goal that you would like to accomplish in your career?
Blue sky goal is to travel the world educating communities on their importance to having environmental sustainability for generations to come.
6. Why did you choose to pursue your passion/profession in Metro-Detroit? How do you intend to impact the region through your work?
Being a Detroit native it is important to create solutions to problems you see in your community. Detroit has over 90,000 vacant lots. Detroit Hives has a vision of activating these vacant spaces for the conservation and education of honey bees. Revitalize these green spaces turning them into way station and providing the community with local raw honey while helping boost the bee population.
I chose to pursue my profession in Detroit because I would rather not be anywhere else and I'm invested in playing a part in uplifting our wonderful city. It sounds a little cliche, but I wouldn't be here if I didn't feel that way.
Meet Nicole at the Vanguard Awards! Click HERE to join the celebration!